1. Setup FTP access on WD
- Log in to your WD box.
- Click on Users.
- Check if the user you intend to connect to FTP with has access to at least one Share.
- If he doesn’t have access to any Shares, create a new Share for this user.
- To provide FTP access to the assigned Share, make sure that FTP access is enabled for the WD box.
- To verify this, click on Settings->Network.
- Scroll down to Network Services and enable FTP access.
- Return to the Shares tab and enable FTP access under the desired Share.
- Select your preference regarding Anonymous connection.
- Go back to Settings->Network Services and click on Configure>> next to FTP Access.
- Change the Settings if needed.
- Scroll down to Port Forwarding.
- Click on Add.
- Take note of the listed FTP port(s).
2. Setup external access to the WD
To connect to Otixo and other FTP clients, you need to allow access to WD outside your local network. To do this, you would need to enable Dynamic DNS and provide an external host address. If you don’t have one, you can sign up with NOIP.com and get one for free. Please follow these steps:
- Go to www.noip.com and click on Sign Up.
- Enter your email, username and desired hostname.
- Select .ddns.net from the list.
- Click on the confirmation email you received by email.
- Copy the hostname you created.
- Return to your WD admin panel.
- Click on Settings->Network.
- Enable DDNS.
- Click on Settings>>.
- Select “no-ip.DDNS under Server Address.
- Enter the hostname you created with NOIP.
- Enter the username and password you signed up to NOIP with.
- Click on Save.
3. Add WD to Otixo
Now that you have enabled FTP access and an external access to the WD box, you can connect it to Otixo. To do that, please follow these steps:
- Log in to Otixo.
- Switch to the "Cloud Drives" tab from the left panel.
- Click on the "Add Cloud Drive" button.
- Choose FTP from the list.Enter your preferred Display Name.
- Enter the hostname or IP address in the "Server" field.
- Input the path in the "Home Path" field or leave blank.
- Enter the port number as per your FTP user configuration.
- Enter the credentials as per your FTP user configuration.
- Check "Remember password".
- Check "Passive Mode" if this is required for the connection.
- Check "Use FTPS protocol" if this is required for the connection.
- Click on "Connect".
You have now successfully connected your WD to Otixo!